Sunday, October 7, 2007

review - the altar and the door, casting crowns



One of the most common complaints I hear about a band like Casting Crowns is that nobody wants another band/artist like MercyMe. There are just too many out there that all sound the same (see Downhere, Michael W. Smith, Shawn McDonald, Shane & Shane, Stephen Curtis Chapman, Aaron Shust, Tree 63, Jeremy Camp, blah blah blah). I'm with you. Other than for 3 or 4 songs, MercyMe (and most of those others) is just way too overrated. On some level I can understand putting CC in with this group. I'm talking mostly on the musical and general style level. On the lyrical level, I'd strongly disagree.

I think it is very difficult to combine good quality sound with creative & theologically sound lyrics. There are too many artists out there who write Christian lyrics at the expense of making a good quality song (the current examples are Todd Agnew and Matthew West - absolutely horrible). Most have captured a decent sound but lack any creativity in their lyrics (see most of the bands originally listed). It's here where CC sets themselves apart from the others.

This album does not disappoint. I'm not convinced that they've surpassed the genius of their previous album Lifesong, however this one certainly isn't far behind. The best songs are #3 Slow Fade, #4 East to West, #7 Somewhere in the Middle, #8 I Know You're There.

1 comment:

Mark said...

What's up? You didn't mention the complete package and one of your all-time favorite Christian artists...Ray Boltz.