Thursday, October 4, 2007

decisions decisions decisions

Boy am I tired of making decisions that affect the rest of our lives. My current quandry is once again in relation to school. To make a long story short, I am currently in the Counseling Licensure program at D Sem, but strongly considering making a slight change to the Counseling Ministries program. I'd be shorting myself the ability to counsel in a clinical setting (the mental health arena), but availing myself to be trained more deeply in spiritual health, the arena where my heart truly lies. The logical advice I receive is to go for the licensure anyway and keep my options open. The "heart" advice I receive (and am most drawn to) is that Kari and I have taken leaps of faith to even get to this position, and to take one more small step and follow my passion. The downside: I'd be less marketable. The upside: I'd be on the road to doing what I truly feel called to do. Is this a trusting God issue? or a taking-the-easy-road-out issue? I await the Holy Spirit's direction. In the meantime I covet your prayers and welcome your words (since that is often how the Spirit manifests his own voice).

3 comments:

Angie and Jason said...

Do you think if I EVER listened to my brain that I'd be married to a tattooed ex-con? Go with the heart. Always the heart.

That's my humble opinion!

Angie and Jason said...

By the way - I couldn't be happier :)

Benjil24 said...

Joel this is God talking. You will drop this whole school thing right now and head back to Dubuque to be with Benji and Abby. And remember this is God. Joel this is actually Benji. I had to come clean because I started to feel guilty that you would think that It was God talking to you.