Monday, February 16, 2009

the concept of a rivalry in a 3-year-old's brain

In delayed celebration of Arizona's recent victory over #11 UCLA...

I was watching the game in my home last Saturday (a luxury for me since most of Denver could care less about the Pac-10 and instead prefers watching Broncos highlights year-round...which, having grown up in a college city, I find extremely annoying) with Mason on my lap (another luxury, since the kid will usually only sit still for Backyardigans and Star Wars), and we were having the following conversation:

"Daddy, is that Ona?" (pronounced "owe-na," which is Mason-lingo for "Arizona")

I proudly recognize that I've taught him well since he can recognize Arizona apparel without being able to read. "Yep. Go Cats!"

"Who is the blue team?"

"Those are the bad guys."

"Why they bad? They like to hurt people?"

"Well, no..............but Arizona's the good guys, so the Bruins are the bad guys."

"Oh............................................Daddy, what's a Bruin?"

"It's a bear."

"Oh. Are bears bad?"

"Well...............uh............yeah, sometimes. They like to hurt people."

"Oh."


Mason runs off. Which is about right, since he had been sitting still for over 5 minutes. A minute later he returns with two of his toys and sits them down in front of me without saying a word.


That's my boy.

6 comments:

Janice said...

Absolutely adorable, what a smart boy you have there!

Guapo Papo said...

Teach him right and tie some rope into a noose, put it over the stupid bears neck and have mighty wilbur holding the end of it. You may also want to consider smashing in the stupid bears nose a bit. Just some random thoughts and helpful advise for raising well adjusted and stable individuals in the same manner that I raised you.

fentastic said...

aha...now I understand...

fentastic said...

Also, remember when I spoke at Lighthouse? Oh right, you weren't there that night...I used this piece of news:
Three motorists were killed and dozens injured by rockslides on the road between the Russian resort cities of Adler and Krasnaya Polyana. People in the area blamed Caucasian bears, which started killing cattle by rolling rocks down the mountains and graduated to humans. Not for eating though, Vladimir Tkach, a hunter, said the creatures were attacking people on the road “just for entertainment”. Independent On Sunday – 20 October 2002

Lindsay said...

That is so funny!! I just posted a video of Brody watching the UCLA game and yelling "Go CATS!" which Scott taught him of course. He doesn't quite understand as much as Mase though cause he tends to yell that whenever he is excited about...well...anything.

Lindsay said...

Now you need to teach him the concept of sucky refs!!