Friday, February 6, 2009

bad day at the office

Sometimes at work I spend a lot of time on the phone trying to explain the intricacies of financial aid to prospective students. It can be a challenge, but usually I can effectively communicate the appropriate information in 4 or 5 minutes. Not so today.

This prospective student just didn't get it, but wanted to keep talking and talking. And then he wanted my opinions about random, non-financial-aid-related matters, but he kept interrupting me when I would try to answer him. He would start a sentence, then before finishing he would ask, "Do you know what I mean?" I never knew what he meant.

This was perhaps one of the most painful conversations I've ever had to endure.

This is me after 8 minutes:
After 15 minutes:After 30 minutes:Finally after 34 minutes and my 4th offer to send him an email with all the appropriate information, he decided he got what he needed.

These are actual scenes from the conversation, they are not a reenactment. My work study, Chad, was so entertained by my dramatic painful facial expressions that he decided to start taking pictures. All I can say is that guy better take some classes.

9 comments:

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

HAHA...I love this! There is a guy that calls my office every time the Journey magazine comes out and he just talks and talks and talks. When I answer the phone and I hear his voice, I silently say "Oh...craaaaaaap"...and believe it or not he actually got my cell phone number once!!!

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

Just a thought...perhaps it was Willie Taggart??? :)

fentastic said...

You might be careful with #3. Looks like you're puttin' out "the vibe."

Mimi/Mom/Christy said...

Love the desk....You could seriously take a nap on it...Just get a recording of that guy's melodic yammerings and snooze!!

Guapo Papo said...

You introverted numbers guys gotta get out of your office more often. What about the poor guys sensitivities? How will he know if the money is being spent wisely? How much should be borrow versus mooch? Who gives all this money anyway? How come those stupid forms are so complicated? Can't you guys give us poor students the money needed without all this mumbo jumbo legal crud? How come you guys don't have a lunch program, or at least give away free milk like the elementary schools do? What about this poor guys wife and her need to live at the standard she has grown to expect under her parents roof? Shouldn't you guys offer free lodging? Who is going to pay for gasoline from his apartment to school everyday? Couldn't they just give this guy your salary for school instead of paying you to moan and groan? If the school pays for your insurance so that you can make me some grandchildren, why can't he make some cheap babies while in school? Why aren't the real crowded classes cheaper to take than the ones with just a few students? Why do you gotta use black ink on government forms rather than the more asthetically pleasing blue ink? Who pays for all the extra clothes you gotta wear in the cold country? Why do the books cost so much? Why don't you guys just keep some extra cash around instead of making us poor students beg and grovel and search so hard for it? These are all legitimate questions that must be answered with the deepest care and thoughtful consideration. Just my opinion.

Kari said...

Ha ha Ange, we would've called him Jason a few years ago!

Honey, those are the faces you possess 9 times out of 10 with Mase. Just a thought...maybe it's you!

Joel said...

Ouch, honey. That hurts.

Aaron Harlow said...

mwahahahahahahahahahahaha! Gosh I miss you.

Janice said...

Were you really yelling at the guy? Oh you need to beef up on the vitamin B for that kind of stress : )