Tuesday, July 29, 2008

oxymoron

I'm watching the documentary Jesus Camp that I rented from the library. Ugh.
But it's like watching Charlie Goes To Candy Mountain (YouTube) or John Malkovich in In The Line of Fire. I just can't look away. I know it highlights only one of the most extreme examples of the American Penecostal movement, but it makes "American Christianity" look like an oxymoron.

The lesbian pastor just finished denouncing Satan from messing with the microphones and Powerpoint, and a counselor just walked into the boys dorm and reprimanded them for telling ghost stories because they don't honor God. I thought ultra-conservatives were the most legalistic Christians, but it looks like they don't hold a candle to ultra-charismatics. So far I've heard that Harry Potter lovers are going to hell and that God only likes to go to churches where people are dancing and yelling Hallelujah.

Kari just walked in and after watching for 5 minutes said, "These guys are freaks."
I'm with you, babe.

Alright, so it's not like Charlie Goes To Candy Mountain. I'm actually going to turn this one off early. Maybe I'll finally give Harry Potter a chance.

4 comments:

fentastic said...

I'm pretty sure Charlie and his candy-ass unicorn are at camp too.

Joel said...

You're at camp.

Jefferson Twillsbury said...

I watched this whole thing too. The scariest part about it is that they had just enough truth mixed in with their craziness to make it dangerous.

Lindsay said...

Isn't it scary how easily one can completely disregard the commands of God (ie. homosexuality) while shamelessly tacking on a million irrelevant ones of their own! And by the way...jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon already...you won't be sorry!!